The history of Rwanda dates back centuries, Kigali has been a part of it for 100 years. Founded in 1907 as a German settlement, Kigali did not become the capital until Rwanda’s independence in 1962 when it replaced the colonial seat of power in Butare. Visit the Kandt museum, see old Kigali and the craft centres then visit the genocide memorial site.
Learn about Rwanda’s history from pre-colonial times to the 1994 genocide; learn about other genocides in the world and how this country has dealt with that past. Tour more and see the new developments in Rwanda; the recovery has been incredible, a testament to humankind’s resilience.
Day 1 – Arrival - Kigali
Upon arrival at Kigali International Airport, you will be met by our representative, to be transferred to your hotel, Flame Tree Village for overnight.
Day 2 – Kigali - Volcanoes National Park
Breakfast at the hotel, followed by a City Tour of Kigali.
The history of Rwanda dates back centuries, Kigali has been a part of it for 100 years. Founded in 1907 as a German settlement, Kigali did not become the capital until Rwanda’s independence in 1962 when it replaced the colonial seat of power in Butare.
Visit the Kandt museum, see old Kigali and the craft centres then visit the genocide memorial site. Learn about Rwanda’s history from pre-colonial times to the 1994 genocide; learn about other genocides in the world and how this country has dealt with that past. Tour more and see the new developments in Rwanda; the recovery has been incredible, a testament to humankind’s resilience.
Lunch in Kigali and later you drive to Ruhengeri, 21/2 hrs arriving in the early evening at the Volcanoes National Park HQs. Dinner and overnight at Mountain Gorilla View Lodge.
In the evenings, Optional Intore, Cultural Dancers troupe will spice your stay with memorable Rwandan dances. (at an extra cost)
Day 3:- Volcanoes National Park
After an early breakfast, you will be transferred to the Volcanoes National Park HQs for your first day of trekking. Briefing by your trackers then drive to the trail head for the start of your amazing Gorilla Tracking adventure.
Porters may be hired for the trek to carry your backpack and gear at US$ 10 per person/per day. We advise that you utilize this service.
Your trek again starts in the cultivated foothills of the Virunga’s offering stirring views in all directions. When it enters the national park, trekkers will be immersed in the mysterious intimacy of the rainforest, alive with the colorful bird calls, chattering golden monkeys, littered with fresh spoor of the mountains’ elusive buffalo and elephant. Through gaps in the canopy, the magnificent peaks are glimpsed, among the highest in Africa yet easily accessible, beckon an ascent.
Weaving through overhanging vines, moss-covered hagenia trees and giant lobelias that thrive in the tropical climate, our experienced trackers, who have spent their entire lives in or close to this forest, soon bring us up close with one of the Gorilla Families.
Upon sighting the gorillas, you will stay with them for a magical hour as they go about their daily life, feeding, playing, resting; raising their young. Coming face to face with a giant silverback must truly be one of the greatest wildlife experiences on earth!
After the trek, rejoin your driver Guide for a transfer to your lodge for lunch.
Afternoon at leisure or to enjoy optional activities offered e.g. visit Iby’iwacu village at an extra cost.Dinner and overnight at Mountain Gorilla View Lodge.
Day 4:- Volcanoes National Park/ Gisenyi (Lake Kivu)
Breakfast at the lodge and then depart for the golden monkey trek, returning to the lodge for lunch. Thereafter, youdepart to the Gisenyi arriving in the early evening. Dinner and overnight at Lake Kivu Serena lodge.
Day 5: Gisenyi (Lake Kivu) - Kibuye (on Lake Kivu) -Nyungwe Forest N Park.
After breakfast, take a speed boat trip to the town of Kibuye, passing by the Napoleon Hat Island to see thousands of bats. Early lunch at Moriah Hill Resort. After lunch, stop at the Home St. Jean, a Genocide Memorial Church, and subsequently drive to Nyungwe Forest National Park. Dinner and overnight Nyungwe Rainforest Lodge.
Day 6: Explore Nyungwe Forest National Park
After an early breakfast, you depart for the chimpanzee trek returning to the lodge in time for lunch. Thereafter, proceed for the White and Colombus monkey trek arriving at the lodge in time for dinner and overnightat Nyungwe Forest Lodge.
Day 7: Nyungwe N. Park - Huye - Nyanza - Kigali City
Breakfast then you drive to Huye with a visit to the workshop of the Tin Smith of Huye. Lunch at Ibis Hotel, then visit the National Museum in Huye. On the way to Kigali, visit the Nyanza King's Palace. Arrive in Kigali where you will be dropped at Kigali international airport for your scheduled departure flight.
- -Accommodation is available in 3 options:- Luxury, mid -range and budget options
- -Ruhengeri area is located at 2400 meters above sea level and is chilly early morning and evening. While trekking, it can rain unexpectedly, hence waterproof clothing is a good essential including zip lock bags for cameras and film. You will also need boots that can cope with some mud.
- Arrival and departure airport transfers
- Accommodation in Kigali on Bed and breakfast basis
- Transport in a special safari 4x4 Land cruiser
- Full board accommodation at Lodge / hotel while on safari
- Accommodation at Lake Kivu on bed and breakfast
- City Tour of Kigali
- Services of an English/French speaking driver-guide
- One gorilla permit (Cost given separate from Per person cost)
- Bottled drinking water while trekking and in vehicle
- All taxes on the services quoted above
- Meals and beverages, other than specified
- Optional accommodation at Kigali on the last day
- International, regional and local Airfares.
- Airport taxes.
- Passport and visa fees and service charges for obtaining visas.
- Excess baggage charges levied by airlines.
- Gratuities to driver/guides and other conveyance attendants.
- Laundry and other items of a personal nature such drinks, telephone calls ETC
- Personal and baggage insurance.
- Cost for anything not specifically mentioned in the listing above.
- Insurance coverage is available for Baggage, Accident and Trip Cancellation/Interruption at special low cost group rates.
Rwanda Trekking and Mt Climbing Itineraries
- 3 Days Gorilla Trekking, Volcanoes National Park
- 4 days Gorilla Trekking – Volcanoes National Park with Lake Kivu
- 7 Days Gorilla & Chimps trekking
Cell: +254 722521501
Tel: +254 20 2716136